Thursday, April 18, 2013

More About Charlotte




More About Charlotte

All I’ve written about Charlotte is true, but I left a lot out. Like her conversion. Her conversion was one of the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I’ll never forget it. But before I tell you about it I have to go back a little to what led up to it. Yes my dad said, “She’s the one”. He seemed to be able to see something. But the problem was she was not saved. Yes she had been to church a little. But I knew she was not saved, and that was a problem for two reasons. One, I was not a good person, certainly not a practicing Christian, so how was I going to be credible witness for God. And two, in a couple of dates I was done with her, at least that was the plan… Problem was, I kept taking her out… -Oh- and one more thing you should know; I had lost some teeth in a fist fight.”

One night I was sitting across from her at Neno’s and I could see her lips moving, but I could not hear her talking. And then I heard a voice (inside my head) say, “O my God you are falling for her” I felt fine, but my stomach started churning. I excused my self and went to the bathroom and begin to vomit. I vomited 4 or 5 times and flushed the toilet each time. I never felt bad, so I went to the sink to clean up and that’s when I noticed…no teeth, I had flushed my front teeth down the toilet. I couldn’t believe it. Well what could I do, I went back to Charlotte like nothing happened. Problem; Charlotte didn’t know I had false teeth. She immediately knew something was wrong; she kept trying to look in my mouth as I was chewing. And then I broke out laughing, and once again her mouth dropped open. And so I told her what happened and we had a good laugh… but I didn’t tell her why I was vomiting. (Remember the voice in my head)

  Now I had a real problem I was falling for her and Charlotte she was not a Christian and I would never get dad’s stamp of approval if she were not. And I wanted dad’s approval. So I thought, “this is the excuse I need to call the whole thing off”. So I drew a line in the sand, so to speak. If Charlotte didn’t become a Christian, I made a firm resolve; I would see her no more. Besides she was pushing the limits to see what I would put up with. And she had found out I had limits. And that being said, I thought she would be glad to see me go. And I would return to my carefree life. But this meant I would have to set a date, sit down and give her some sort the gospel presentation. I chose the next evening and told her I had something I had to say. And sat down in front of her couch on the floor in her front room. (I felt like Balaam’s ass at this point) How was this dumb donkey going to tell of Christ? Well I don’t know what I said, I stumbled and stuttered and said some words about Jesus Christ being God. (and both of us have said we wish we had a recording of that night)…
But this is what she said; first she stared at the floor, and then said “That makes sense.” That’s all, and that’s it. No sinner’s prayer, no nothing just “that makes sense”. The next day she had question, lots of question. Question I couldn’t answer. And I remember thinking “this is not what I sign up for”. All I wanted was dad’s approval and an Ephesians 5:22 wife. I didn’t know much of the Bible, but Ephesians 5:22, I was on board with that one.
(What are laughing about? when you were understudied you thought the same thing.)

So back to the questions, I couldn’t answer them so I did the only thing I knew to do. I took her to dad. Dad was delighted, no elated. All this did was deepen their relationship and caused him to love her all the more. And although it was not what I signed up for, as it turned out it was what I wanted… no, it was what I needed.

I had to start studying just to keep up. Funny how things worked out…I want you all to know I’m writing this with tears in my eyes…because I still need her.  

No comments:

 
blog design by Paperback Designs